2. Routing information with respect to job scheduling activities includes
I. Sequence of operations in the production process.
II. List of operations to be performed by a worker.
III. Skills required by an employee to perform the task.
[A]Only (I) above
[B]Both (I) and (II) above
[C]Both (I) and (III) above
[D](I), (II) and (III) above
3. A company uses infra-red imaging to examine the problem areas identified without dismantling the machine, so that the extent of damage can be determined before stopping the machine. This is an example of which type of maintenance?
4. Which of the following is not a feature of JIT Purchasing?
[A]There is usually a single source of supply for a given part in nearby geographical area with a long term contract
[B]Purchasing is carried out in small lots, with frequent deliveries
[C]Suppliers have less freedom in design specifications
[D]There is less formal paperwork
5. Which of the following aspects of quality is usually measured by the mean time between failures (MTBF) or the failure rate per unit time?
6. The length of time required to replenish the inventory for a material, from the time that need for additional material is sensed until the new order for the material is in inventory and ready for use is called
[D]Demand during lead-time
7. Which of the following is not a feature of Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS)?
[A]It is a form of flexible automation in which several machine tools are linked together by a material-handling system, with a central computer controlling all aspects of the system
[B]It is generally used to produce a variety of parts that have similar processing requirements
[C]It is usually suitable for manufacturing products in high volumes
[D]It offers many advantages such as reduced direct labour, shorter response time, consistent quality of products and better control over the manufacturing process
8. Which of the following systems represents the highest level of automation in manufacturing?
[A]Computer Aided Design (CAD)
[B]Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
[C]Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
[D]Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS)
9. Which of the following is false regarding the Kanban system?
[A]It requires some initial levels of inventory to begin with
[B]In this type of system, three different cards are used to initiate material transaction: Production authorization card, Vendor authorization card and Conveyance authorization card
[C]A single-card system makes use of the conveyance card only
[D]Missing of only one Kanban card does not hamper the working of the system
10. The Bill of Materials (BOM) file is also referred to as
[D]Indented Parts List
11. In order to maximize the number of completed jobs in the system, which of the following priority rules should be used by a firm?
[A]First In, First Serve
[B]Earliest Due Date
[C]Slack Time Remaining
[D]Shortest Processing Time
12. Which of the following is not true about Cellular Manufacturing?
[A]Parts spend less time in waiting before they are processed and this results in a significant decrease in in-process inventory levels
[B]Products have similar shapes and processing requirements
[C]Grouping parts into families that follow a common sequence of steps often requires developing and maintaining a computerized parts classification and coding system
[D]Cells are dedicated to a wide range of products
13. Woodlands, a reputed hospital, has developed an innovative system to help physicians diagnose bacterial infections. When supplied with the patient’s symptoms and test results, the system offers a number of possible diagnoses, assigns confidence levels to each, and even suggests additional tests, if any. This is an example of
[A]Transaction Processing System
[B]Executive Information System
14. Comparing inventory levels to targets, falls more appropriately under which of the following activities?
15. A Korean MNC manufactures micro-wave cookers. The demand for their product in last five months (in 2005) is as follows:
Month |Feb |Mar |Apr |May |June
Demand |7000 |7500 |8200 |8500 |7900
4-month moving averages for the demand of the product at the beginning of June and July (in 2005) were respectively