2. In the operations research methodology, which of the following steps precedes the others?
[A]Testing the model
[B]Deriving a solution from the model
[C]Putting the solution into effect
[D]Mathematical model construction
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic of operations research?
[A]It ensures long-term commitment to improvement of overall organizational quality
[B]It uses models to present problems
[C]The model, variables, constraints and goals are presented in mathematical terms
[D]It quantifies the variables in a problem as far as possible
4. Skills inventory is a means of assessing internal labor supply. Which of the following does not pertain to skills inventory while assessing internal labor supply?
5. In the Japanese management style, the management function of leading is characterized by
I. Leader acting as a decision-maker and head of the group.
II. Paternalistic style of management.
III. Common values.
IV. Face-to-face confrontation; emphasis on clarity.
V. Bottom-up communication.
[A](I), (II) and (III) above
[B](I), (III) and (IV) above
[C](I), (IV) and (V) above
[D](II), (III) and (V) above
6. Raymond E. Miles proposed three models of management – The Traditional Model, The Human Relations Model and the Human Resources Model. Which of the following is/are ‘policies’ of the ‘Human Resources Model’?
I. The manager’s basic task is to make each worker feel useful and important.
II. The manager must create an environment in which all members may contribute to the limits of their abilities.
III. The manager must help in broadening subordinate self-direction and control.
IV. The manager must break down tasks into simple, repetitive, easily learnt operations.
[A]Only (I) above
[B]Both (I) and (IV) above
[C]Both (II) and (III) above
[D]Both (III) and (IV) above
7. Which of the following is not a type of information system?
[A]Transaction processing system
[B]Office automation system
[C]Management information system
[D]Customer support system
8. Organizations that have a divisional structure may adopt which of the following types of responsibility centers?
9. Which of the following is the first step in the control process?
[A]Comparing performance against standards
[C]Setting performance standards
10. Which one of the fallowing is not a technique of financial control?
11. Human resource planning consists of resource demand forecasting and resource supply forecasting. Which of the following is not a long range factor in ‘resource demand forecasting’?
12. Which of the following are functions of distributed leadership?
I. The powers and functions of a leader are shared.
II. With proper training and support, individuals have the potential to lead.
III. Leadership is a process.
IV. Leadership is person-centered rather then organization-centered.
[A]Both (I) and (II) above
[B]Both (III) and (IV) above
[C](I), (II) and (III) above
[D](I), (II) and (IV) above
13. Capacity decisions are one of the key decisions included in an operations management program. Which of the following would most likely happen, if a company was operating with insufficient capacity?
[A]The company would have generally low production costs
[B]The company would be able to minimize operating costs
[C]The company would have a loss of sales and lower profits
[D]The company would be able to maximize profits
14. All of the following differentiate charismatic leaders from non-charismatic leaders except
[C]Consistency and focus
[D]Behavior that is mediocre
15. Which of the following costs decreases with an increase in inventory?
[A]Cost of capital
[B]Storage space costs